Tuesday, November 3, 2015

How I Ended Up Riding a Bicycle!

If you are one of those people who are completely dependent on public transport for getting to places, you will always have my undivided attention. And if you happen to live in my city then you have my deepest sympathies. Well, in this post, I won’t be ranting about the woes of public transport nor shooting venomous attacks on those scary bus drivers either. Instead I want to share about what caused my sister and I to buy a bicycle and eventually ride it!

As I had mentioned in my previous post, rickshaw drivers in my locality are allergic to travel short distances. So, if you are like me and have joined a gym that is round the corner where the distance can’t be walked, then you are at the total mercy of these rickshaw fellas.

So, instead of lamenting and complaining (which honestly isn’t good for the soul) we decided to do something about it. Thankfully, since our locality breathes residential, buying a bicycle seemed like the best way to overcome this commuting problem. Honestly, I was quite reluctant to do so. But again, thanks to my sister who was persistent, and after much research, we zeroed in on a particular brand and soon became proud owners of two bicycles.

I had learnt to ride the bicycle when I was a kid but I never had a chance to practice it. So, when I mounted on the bicycle after so many years, within a couple of minutes I was able to balance it and ride a short distance. Wow, so much for muscle memory!

I had no clue that I would enjoy riding a bicycle. It is so much fun and healthy. Being a fitness enthusiast, riding a bicycle became a part of my exercise routine. Since my society is situated on a slope, there are a lot of uphill and downhill terrains, so it is perfect for a cardio workout.

After many practice sessions and a number of breaks, I knew I had to go out on the streets. Today I had my maiden a.k.a test ride on the streets in my area and I was really scared. Geared with my helmet for protection, I ventured out, praying that I would not be knocked over by a moving vehicle. Thankfully, all went well and I came home feeling so accomplished! :)

There is one thing that I have learnt for sure. I can either choose to have a complaining spirit (which does not honor God) and rant about all the difficulties that come along or find a way around it and enjoy life in the process. My sister and I not only stumbled upon a solution but we also found another way to be fit and enjoy riding a bicycle!

In all of this, we learnt to be content in accepting our current circumstances of commuting woes and discover innovative ways to overcome them. God is good! :)


No comments: