Monday, October 28, 2013

Why Should I Worry?

We live in a world where it is somehow considered cool to be worried or stressed about things. How are you doing? We ask and the common reply we hear is ‘I am doing ok. I am worried about the weather or I am worried about my job."

What does it mean to worry? The dictionary meaning says that this is to ‘allow one's mind to dwell on difficulty or troubles. I like this explanation. "Allow my mind to dwell on troubles." Hmm. As a Christian, I am called NOT to worry. The bible is very clear on this issue. Jesus commands us not to worry. So, every time, I worry, I sin.

He says in Matthew 6: 25-27:
Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?"


We are people who worry over earthly matters. Food, drink, clothing! We are folks made in the image of God and yet, we live as if our life is all about what we eat and what we should wear.

What is sad is that we live in a generation where we are not concerned about what happens once we die. What about eternity? Can we assume that we can live as we want and forget that we will have to give an account to the Eternal Judge?

Am I concerned how will I appear before the judgment seat of Christ?Am I concerned about the things that I take for granted and constantly complain? Am I really concerned about the kind of life I live that often betrays my faith?

Every time, I am tempted to worry over things that are truly trivial and passing, I pray that I think of things that matter for eternity, things that please my Father in heaven.

Like Paul who says in the book of Philippians 4:8:
"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."

As it says in Romans 12:1-2
I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Help me O Lord not to be like the world!


No comments: