Thursday, March 5, 2009

Oh How I Wish...

Every time I watch Jim Carey complain and murmur about his pitiable condition in 'Bruce Almighty', it brings a smile on my face. The makers of this movie were able to capture the universal disease of us human beings, “complaining”. It is not an unique disease that plagues a few, but is prevalent among the rich and poor alike!!

One statement from Jim Carey that stuck me was this, “I hate my mediocre life.”. Wow!! Mediocre, eh? Well, the movie has a humorous undertone where in the end, Jim Carey a.k.a Bruce Nolan realised that what he had, was so much better and well satisfying than what he wished for!!

So, readers what are you wishing for today?? A better comfortable life, a spectacular job, great loyal friends, understanding spouse who is able to read your mind and respond instantly?? For starters, this post isn't meant to give any advice for I have none!! Sorry folks!! What I am trying to do is think through the issue of complaining. Why do I complain? Tell me, why are you complaining?
The main reason I complain is because I feel I deserve better than what I have. Instead of being thankful for what I have, I look at what I don't have and become unhappy!! And my heart is so deceitful that it will coax me to find satisfaction in the things around me, when there are just supposed to point me to the One, the Giver of all things! It is God alone who can satisfy me! Period.

I like what my pastor said during one of his sermons, “If you don't have something in your life that you desire, probably it is not something you need at the moment.” Every time we complain, we are actually raising our fists against God telling Him, “You aren't doing a good job.” Of all creation, the animals and birds pay their respects better to their Creator by not complaining.

No wonder, in the Bible, Jesus Christ talked about the lilies of the field and the birds of the air in Matthew 6: 25-35. If God can take care of the birds who neither sow nor reap, how much more for those believe in God through Christ Jesus??

By God's grace, my complaining has reduced quite a bit and there is so much to thank God for!! For a job in this recession, for a roof over my head, for a healthy body and kind friends too.

Coming back to the statement about a mediocre life mentioned by Bruce Nolan in Bruce Almighty is that maybe, if I don't have a great life as wanted/fancied is probably because I can't handle it. More often than ever, we overestimate ourselves. We think we can handle everything. Never envy somebody else's life, coz we don't know what their secret troubles are! In the process of coveting their so-called prosperous lives, you might inherit their troubles too!

Being content is the key!!

2 comments:

Caroline Kaunds said...

We really need to be content man...i know wat u sayin girl.... We all can be big time complainers... Good post...

Naiesha said...

Thank you! Finall, got over the writer's block :P