Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Sword of the Spirit

This has been on my mind for a long time and I guess the time is right that I pen these thoughts down. As an Indian I have come across various traditions and cultures some of which I love to hate. And as I was growing up I remember enjoying some and despising the other becoz of inconvenience perhaps.....

But now as a Bible believing Christian who affirms that knowing this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” (2Peter 1: 20, 21) So everything I do and say has to be guided by what the Word of God says....I don't find it burdensome but as the Psalmist says in Psalms 119: 97 “Oh how I love your law! It is my meditation all the day.”

So coming back to what I have in mind is “What about the traditions and rituals that are being followed by people all around me?” Sometimes it is so confusing but God's Word is very clear. Right now I am thinking of certain verses from the book of Colossians.

“Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.” (Col 2 :16) and another verse

“These have indeed an appearance of wisdom in promoting self-made religion and asceticism and severity to the body, but they are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh.” (Col 2:23)

My favorite which extinguishes all the flames of doubts is this,

“See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.” (Col 2:8) Wham!!!

I am satisfied coz I have tasted and seen that the Lord is good. (Psalm 34: 8a)



2 comments:

Caroline Kaunds said...

hey nice post.. very encouragin.. m glad we have Jesus Christ as r Lord and Master...

Naiesha said...

Thanx a ton!! Was a bit disturbed while writing this particular post, but was lifted up in my spirits after going thru these verses myself.....