Friday, November 8, 2013

Waiting

I have always wondered why waiting is such a tiring experience. Is it because waiting slows down things? Or is it my perception that waiting causes a delay for whatever I am waiting for? Sometimes, this impatience that grows within me is a result of the world I live in. You can get everything—practically everything in a jiffy. Click the mouse and you have paid the bills! We live in a world of instant gratification. We don’t have the time to wait…patiently.

In the light of hurried living and busyness, I am glad in a way that God calls me to wait. To wait upon Him for the things I have asked in prayer. It is in this period of waiting I am called to exercise faith in who God is and His ability to bring about what I have asked for. For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven. (Ecclesiastes 3:1)

God knows what He is about. It is my own foolishness or the result of leaning on my own understanding that I tend to become impatient. He is wise and does all things according to the counsel of His will. I am called to trust Him and His timing.

Waiting requires courage and strength of soul. Hence the psalmist in the Bible encourages us “Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord! (Psalms 27:14)

So, if you are in the period of waiting upon God, take heart. God is good and loves you and desires that you know Him better in this time of stillness. “Be still, and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10

No comments: