Monday, October 17, 2011

Restless Pursuit

We are in a constant state of pursuit. We are never at ease, always in constant search of that one thing that will truly satisfy or that perfect relationship that will bring true happiness. In reality, it is like grasping for the wind that is nothing more than an illusion.

Why is this so?? The moment I get that job, I find myself complaining or grumbling stating that, ‘If only I had that…would have I been completely satisfied??” Am I missing something? Why is it that I am never satisfied? Or is it because I am seeking satisfaction in the wrong place or in the wrong thing/person/situations??

This search of understanding leads me to ask the basic question, “Why was I created and what is my ultimate goal in life? For that I need to look to the One who created me, the Creator who alone knows the reason for my existence!!

I love the definition given by Westminster Shorter Catechism.
Question: What is the chief end of man? 
 Answer: Man's chief end is to glorify God, and enjoy Him for forever.

Wow!! The reason for my constant state of restlessness and discontentment is that I seek my purpose and satisfaction in creation and not in my Creator. No wonder, I am so discontent. But, no matter how much I disagree or deflect from this truth, it is God alone who will satisfy me.

That’s why He sent His Son, Jesus Christ to show us the way and how to live that life, finding joy in God. “I have come that they may have life and have it abundantly. (John 10:10 b).  It is abundant life that Jesus is talking about. He also says, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”(John 14:6)

To be continued…..

1 comment:

Beyond said...

and that's why it is said the Pursuit Of Happiness as it is ever elusive...