Monday, July 7, 2008

A careless whisper

We need to be so careful with our words, a lesson I am still learning the hard way. Every word reveals the true intention of our heart. There is no such thing as 'I was just kidding' or 'I didn't really mean that'. Every word we speak tells something about the condition of our hearts. True!! Words can either heal or kill. How often we slay people with our words, not realizing we will eat its fruit.

Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit. Proverbs 18:1 (NASB)
When words are many, transgression is not lacking,
but whoever restrains his lips is prudent. Proverbs 10:19 (ESV)


5 comments:

Ancy said...

Wow, doc, u won't believe ur blog is a second indication to me this past week , which is reminding me about being careful with words, its soooo true!!! I hear ya. See, when I said that old lessons are coming back haunting me, this is one of it.

Long back, my sis used to keep saying to my 'Words once spoken cannot be taken back', but down the years its kind of faded and i haven't been too careful. Unintentionally also we tend to hurt people at times and dont even think about it twice.

Naiesha said...

I hear u Ancy. We can never get away with what we say and to whom. Beginning to realize that if our hearts are kept in constant check then we will be able to control our speech...Jesus truly said,"Out of the abundance of hearts, the mouth speaks".

Let's learn to be careful with our tongues and let's use it as instruments of grace and healing.....

Ancy said...

but wht confuses me is when can u stop hurting people and start being honest. Where do u draw the line?? Because, even if u trying to help someone by saying something honestly, its still gonna hurt..

Naiesha said...

Tell the truth in love, it will hurt the hearer but for a while. Test the motive of your heart as to why you are saying so. Is it becoz you care or u want to put the person down. Being truthful goes a long way in building strong relationships. But the truth has to be told in LOVE.

The tone, the attitude and facial expressions will speak louder than words...Take note of that too....

kochuthresiamma p .j said...

yes. u couldnt be more right.I have learnt - the hard way :-)-that
words are always loaded- so must handle them carefully -