Monday, April 14, 2008

Death's persona

In our day to day functionalities of our fast paced life, something that acts as a brake is death. Not a favorite topic of anyone, but its a sobering thought, lets you think on the real issues of life. The day you were born there is a day marked for your death....Even as a child, I came across this as very scary after my grandparents died. But as I grew older it dawned upon me that every single individual is heading towards death.


I distinctly remember the incident when I was posted in the emergency ward (well, I'm a doctor by profession-I don't practice now) and saw a patient die in front of me, I was shocked. When I touched his body it was cold, and it gave me an eerie feeling. Another time, there was this young mother howling over her dead child, I couldn't handle the depressing atmosphere. A visit to the ICU ward will realign our priorities as we see solemn faces


I was afraid of death since a child, but now I'm not. I think of 1Corinathians 15: 55, “ O Death, where is your sting? O Hades, where is your victory?” and another verse from Romans 5: 6-8 “For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man one would die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”


What's the reality about death? the just consequences of our sin, our blatant rebellion against a Holy God. Romans 6: 23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” Choose LIFE or DEATH......


No comments: